Topics Topics Help/Instructions Help Edit Profile Profile Member List Register  
Search Last 1 | 3 | 7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  
Discus * Nightmare of the month * Bit Of A Bad Day ! < Previous Next >

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Archive through May 15, 2009Karl30 5-15-09  6:39 pm
Archive through June 26, 2009Admin30 6-26-09  11:08 pm
  ClosedClosed: New threads not accepted on this page        

Karl
Silver Sponsor
Username: Karlw

Post Number: 762

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 11:11 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks for the advice Mr Webby
Admin
Chief Moderator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 1893

Posted on Friday, June 26, 2009 - 11:25 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now then ..... do we need to book you on an IAM course?
Gary
Username: Little_gazza

Post Number: 132

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 5:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well a young lady in a clio offered me the side of her car.
After reshaping her drivers door with the VFR i bounced off and ended up on the deck.
I was filtering past crawling traffic (nothing coming the other way for at least 1/4 mile),
when she decided to turn right without looking.
I have a witness who works in a car showroom at the location.
I was only a mile away from my parents home in Canvey Island Essex on the last legs of a 240 mile journey to visit them.
I'm unhurt and the VFR is still rideable.
Damage is :
All fairing panels (scratched or cracked)
Both brake levers
Mirrors
Footpegs
Warped disc
Bent oil cooler
Clutch casing
And a few other bits and pieces

Insurance claim is in and legal team are on the case.
I will get it booked in for repairs after windermere weekend.
Jo Rammy
Username: Mrs_fud

Post Number: 2304

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 6:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear that you are ok Gary

Take it she didn't have any mirror's to check before pulling out then .... the muppet!!!!!

Jo.
Phil CD
Ride-out Leader / Moderator
Username: Taffcd

Post Number: 1802

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 8:02 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to hear of your accident Gary, Glad you are ok. At least the bike can be repaired. Don't forget the back injury!
You can go fast; I can go anywhere (just as fast)!

Jo Rammy
Username: Mrs_fud

Post Number: 2306

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 8:44 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the whiplash

Jo.
Karl
Silver Sponsor
Username: Karlw

Post Number: 773

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 9:17 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Main thing is that you're ok Gary. Just hope your claim is resolved quicker than mine was!
Paul G
Chief Moderator
Username: Webmaster

Post Number: 11778

Posted on Thursday, July 16, 2009 - 10:38 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does she really deserve the whiplash? oh ok yes, can I watch?

Good to hear you are ok. We fear it and watch for it all of the time and hope it will never 'get' us, but the inattentive driver will always be there. Hope the insurers go in your favour, as filtering, although we all do it (well most), is always questioned. ......Good luck
Barry Hesketh
Silver Sponsor
Username: Joppa

Post Number: 336

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 12:35 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad you are ok Gary,bikes can be renewed/replaced might have to walk to the airshow.Not with CN by any chance? All fairings scratched cracked a little worrying though.
Joanne Gregory
Silver Sponsor
Username: Yellow_bee

Post Number: 222

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hi Gary

Glad to hear your ok,at least the bike survived for you to carry on your journey.

Jo
FazerUK - IAN
Username: Fazeruk

Post Number: 1178

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 4:30 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When your filtering I can see part of the blame going to you.
Gary
Username: Little_gazza

Post Number: 133

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 8:22 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks everyone
I do feel a bit of a stiffy coming on (neck that is)
I'm insured with motorcycles direct.I'm fully comp so the repairs will be done straight away and i have to pay the 250 excess.
As i have legal protection the legal firm will take up my case with the third party, and if she is proved to be at fault my costs will be recovered from her insurer.
But they did say it could be a 70/30 or 50/50.
A mate was involved in a similar accident a few years ago and won the case.
He said if the car driver had checked before turning the accident wouldn't have happened.
Mark
Silver Sponsor
Username: Markc

Post Number: 864

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 10:51 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was an article a couple of years back about having accidents while filtering. Apparently it was automatically 50/50 blame. But there was a change and now it is the same as any other accident. If the car driver turned in front of you then that's driving without due care and attention. You are not automatically at fault just because you were filtering. The only thing that could make you partially liable would be the speed of the traffic and what speed you were filtering at. I would mention this to your legal cover just in case they are looking at a quick result.
Martin H
Username: Banditman

Post Number: 1447

Posted on Friday, July 17, 2009 - 11:32 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with all of the sentiments here and I'm glad you are OK Gary...bikes always fix (or get replaced at least!)
Be careful on the stated "facts" though, as I have filtered with the best on this site...

in fact the last time I "rode out" I had a great filter down the M6 with Phil CD but if we had witnesses to a "filtering" accident i don't doubt it would have been our fault ....

I keep looking out for it on "extreme" channel actually

Seriously though, glad you are OK, but (if you can!) watch out for any witness statements by car drivers, as if the guestimate of the witnesses about your speed was "oooh dunno...cars were doing about 10 ish and bike about 30 ish" most of the blame may be heading your way, totally unfair, but totally normal if guestimated by a cardriver who does not understand...
Roy Nield
Username: Rocket

Post Number: 2328

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 11:25 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm very wary of these legal cover people. Since they have already been paid up front by you then they have nothing else to gain by winning your case or even trying. From past experience of a friend, legal cover people make up excuses why they cannot help you to keep their costs down, do nothing and you cop it. I think you would be much better off handing the case over to a real motorcycle solicitor or even a no-win, no-fee outfit as they would have a vested interest in winning your case for you.

For the record, I always remove legal cover from the cost of my insurance policy. Good luck Gary.

(Message edited by rocket on July 18, 2009)
At the end of the day... It goes dark.
Mark
Silver Sponsor

Post Number: 865

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 1:01 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a peice on the Q&A page in Septembers copy of 'Ride' magazine (I know its still July,beats me too). The bit on bike law is about a bloke who is knocked off his bike while filtering. His legal cover want him to accept 50/50. Shoosmith's who provide legal services answered the question by stating that as long as he was within the speed limit,the car manouvered without indicating and that he could not reasonably avoided the collision then he should get 100%
FazerUK - IAN
Username: Fazeruk

Post Number: 1179

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 1:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mine went 50/50 because I did not have a wittness, but I heal out till I got at least 1,500, what i wanted if it would of gone 100% my way, I did not have any NCB so did not bother me to wait another year to start collecting them.
Mark
Silver Sponsor

Post Number: 866

Posted on Saturday, July 18, 2009 - 2:40 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP Print Post    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In 2005 I was driving in a car on the inside lane on the M60. A car from the middle lane hit me and pushed me into the bridge armco barrier.The car hit and then did a 360 turn and hit again before bouncing out into the middle lane facing the wrong way.My insurance wanted me to accept 80/20 !!!!!! Needless to say I told them no way and eventually they backed off

Add Your Message Here
Bold text Italics Underline Create a hyperlink Insert a clipart image

Username: Posting Information:
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | User List | Help/Instructions Administration